Latest News....Bank Holiday Weekend Friday 25th May to Monday 28th May....CHARNOCK RICHARD BEER & MUSIC FESTIVAL....Great Beers, Cider & Food....Live Music....Free Admission....Everyone Welcome.
Club Information
Latest News 
Club History 
How to Find Us 
Officials & Contacts 
Junior Website 
Our Sponsors 
1st Team
Fixtures & Results 
Match Reports 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Player Profiles 
Fixtures & Results 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Fixtures & Results 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Useful Links 
Photo Gallery 
Scores Predictions 
Club Merchandise 

 Latest News
Date                                             Headlines


Charnock won through to the quarter finals of the Reusch Division 1 Cup with a 2-0 defeat of visitors Chadderton. Mark Adams and Carl Grimshaw scored the goals. Charnock will now play Widnes at Mossie Park on Saturday 3rd December.
Charnock Richard 2 Chadderton 0

Saturday 5th November 2016, Reusch Division 1 Cup 2nd Round



Team: Adam Halton, Damian Dashti, Josh Norgate, Ashley Young Fletcher 45), Ross O’Farrell, Lewis Swarbrick, Danny Smith, Nathan Fairhurst, Carl Grimshaw, Danny Marland Oliver Evans 60), Mark Adams (Anthony Hough 68). Subs (Not Used) Luke Gibson, Gavin Bates.

This was the third consecutive cup tie for Charnock Richard in a run of five ties and the 2-0 victory over visiting Chadderton means that they are through to the quarter finals of the Reusch First Division Cup where they will meet Widnes at home on Saturday 3rd December. Chadderton had visited for a league match back in early September when they departed having lost 3-0 but this was a much closer game with the Villagers taking the lead in the first half and only scoring their second goal just before the end of normal time.

With Spencer Bibby suspended, Sam Parkinson, David Prout and Alex Porter all injured and David Burrows unavailable there were three changes to the starting line-up. Josh Norgate was at left back with Damian Dashti reverting to right back. Lewis Swarbrick moved from right back to midfield. Anthony Hough was dropped to the bench alongside the returning pair of Oliver Evans and Luke Gibson, Mike Fletcher and goalkeeper Gavin Bates.

Another sunny afternoon was spoilt by a cold northerly wind and spectators finally had to resort to donning their winter overcoats. A gate of 98 was not too disappointing on such a cold afternoon. Charnock won the toss and the visitors kicked off playing towards the Charter Lane end. Andy Westwell’s ideas on how a Charnock team should perform under his management have been consistent for many years now, neat passing football with a strong defence have been the requirements and over the seasons the team has been very successful. The move up to the North West Counties League has been a major step this season but Andy’s formula for success has remained unchanged. The squad so far this season has contained a good number of players who were involved in the winning of trophies in previous seasons but there have been also a number of players new to Charnock, consequently it took a little while for the squad to bed down. August saw a few disappointing results but the months of September and October have seen almost continuous success and the club have now won the “Team of the Month” award twice on the run.

Charnock showed that their confidence had not been knocked by the defeat at Hanley Town the previous week by taking the game to Chadderton right from the kick off. Back on their own turf they knocked the ball around convincingly and largely dominated the first half. Chadderton arrived at least knowing what to expect at Mossie Park but, by and large, in the first half they failed to really test Adam Halton in the home goal. Mark Adams is really in a purple patch of form at the moment his best since returning to Charnock at the beginning of last season, he has scored eight goals in his last 11 appearances and once again his name was first to go on the scoresheet in this game. The visitors produced some decent football at times but consistency and lack of fire power up front meant that they never really threatened the home goal in the first half. After dominating possession in the early stages of the game, Charnock went ahead on 18 minutes with a goal from some more direct football, a long clearance was headed on by Carl Grimshaw and MARK ADAMS shot powerfully just inside the post. It was a relief for the home side as teams can have all the play in a game and fail to score goals. Having taken the lead the Villagers went all out to add to their lead with Grimshaw hitting a post and Danny Smith having a header from a left wing corner cleared off the line. Then when Grimshaw rose to neatly head a free kick to Adams he blasted over the bar. The home attacks continued and Danny Marland did well to get a foot to an Adams cross but Michael Smith in the visiting goal collected easily. Adams then appearing on the right fed Danny Smith but the goal bound shot was blocked. A right wing corner was cleared off the line and then when a resulting shot was blocked the ball dropped into the arms of the keeper. Chadderton instigated a number of attacks but as regards finishing the best that they could produce was a weak shot from Matt Crothers. There was a disappointment just before the break when Ashley Young went down after a block tackle and despite trying to continue he had to leave the field with Mike Fletcher coming on for the start of the second half.

The first half finished with Charnock still holding a narrow one goal lead and Chadderton had all to play for in the second period. It would appear that that was the message in the visitors’ dressing room at half time as Chadderton came out a much improved side in the second half. They gained confidence as the lead remained at one goal and they carried much more of a threat as the half progressed. In fact with a little better finishing this could have been the third cup tie in a row that saw Charnock involved in extra time. Leon Iluobe’s cross flashed across the face of the goal and then Halton had to save Gareth Hill’s shot with his foot. There was a great chance on 72 minutes when it appeared that it was inevitable that the visitors would score but the shot at the back post hit Swarbrick. As the game was drawing to a conclusion Ilube evaded two rash tackles from Dashti and Fletcher to reach the by-line he pulled the ball back to James Curley but he shot hopelessly wide. Almost immediately Curley down the right centered but Elliot Messam shot straight at Halton from close range. It was by far all one way however with the home side creating a number of chances. Both Oliver Evans and Anthony Hough came on for Mark Adams and Danny Marland respectively and the team in green could well have put the game beyond Chadderton much earlier than the 87th minute. Evans shot wide when a pass from Josh Norgate rewarded his cross field run and Chadderton fullback Lloyd Bannister did well to head away from Nathan Fairhurst a cross from Danny Smith after the latter had made a great run from midfield. A header from a Charnock right wing corner dropped onto the top of the goal net and Oliver Evans shot past the far post when another opportunity fell for him. Charnock were not hanging on but there was considerable relief for the home supporters when Charnock scored their second goal on 87 minutes. Nathen Fairhurst took a left wing corner and CARL GRIMSHAW made one of his trademark runs across the area to head home. It was then just case of wondering who would be Charnock’s next opponents in this competition and this was decided by the next round being drawn in the Charnock clubhouse and transmitted live on the internet shortly after the final whistle.

Charnock play again on Tuesday 8th November when they travel to Ashton Athletic in the 2nd Round of the Partners Foundation LFA Challenge Trophy, kick off 7.45pm.

On Saturday 12th November Charnock seek to progress to the 3rd Round of the Buildbase FA Vase against Derbyshire base club Staveley Miners Welfare at Mossie Park. Kick off is at 3.00pm with admission prices of £5 Adults and £3 Concessions.

Keith Reader

Club Sponsors