Latest News....Bank Holiday Weekend Friday 25th May to Monday 28th May....CHARNOCK RICHARD BEER & MUSIC FESTIVAL....Great Beers, Cider & Food....Live Music....Free Admission....Everyone Welcome.
Club Information
Latest News 
Club History 
How to Find Us 
Officials & Contacts 
Junior Website 
Our Sponsors 
1st Team
Fixtures & Results 
Match Reports 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Player Profiles 
Fixtures & Results 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Fixtures & Results 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Useful Links 
Photo Gallery 
Scores Predictions 
Club Merchandise 

 Latest News
Date                                             Headlines


Charnock bounced back following the Boxing Day defeat with a 3-0 win over Bacup Borough at Mossie Park. An own goal plus goals from Spencer Bibby and Carl Grimshaw saw the year end with a win.
Charnock Richard 3 Bacup Borough 0

Saturday 31st December 2016 - Hallmark Security League Division 1


Att: 200

Team: Gavin Bates, Spencer Bibby, Benn Veitch (Josh Norgate 45), Ryan Scofield, Luke Gibson, Anthony Hough, Damian Dashti (Lewis Swarbrick 82), Nathan Fairhurst, Carl Grimshaw, Danny Marland (Jon Hession 63), Mark Adams. Subs: (Not Used) Ross O’Farrell, Danny Smith.

The disappointment following the poor display in the home defeat against AFC Blackpool on Boxing Day meant there was expectation that Charnock’s performance against Bacup Borough would be back up to the standard that has seen Charnock challenging at the top of the table all season. Manager Andy Westwell made a number of changes and the team responded by producing a solid display that resulted in a 3-0 victory. Bacup, fielding a much changed side from the team that lost 4-1 to Charnock back in September, held out in the first half but an own goal just after the interval gave the Villagers the breakthrough and they went on to confirm their superiority scoring two further goals.

Josh Norgate, Ross O’Farrell, Lewis Swarbrick and Jon Hession were all dropped to the bench; into the starting eleven came Ryan Schofield, Damian Dashti, Danny Marland and new signing Benn Veitch. Adam Halton was away so Gavin Bates was in goal. There was the welcome sight of Danny Smith on the bench he has been out injured since the FA Vase cup tie back in mid-November. Also Ashley Young is not too far away from returning from a knee injury suffered in October. Mike Fletcher was unavailable working and Oliver Evans was still out with an ankle injury. It was an overcast afternoon with a westerly wind and as it was New Year’s Eve the game kicked off at 2.00pm with Charnock playing towards the Mawdesley Plantation end.

Charnock as expected took the game to Bacup and an Adams cross from the left gave Grimshaw an early heading chance but his effort was straight at keeper Aaron Ashley. After the first half defensive shambles on Boxing Day the spotlight was on the home defence and there was an early scare when a weak back pass saw Gavin Bates come out and slice the ball out for a corner. It soon became obvious that confidence had returned to the home team and although the visitors pushed forward at every opportunity Gavin Bates in goal was not really tested all afternoon. Like a number of teams that have come to Mossie Park this season Bacup lacked a cutting edge up front. Defensively they were relatively strong but Charnock in the first half created a number of chances but shots and headers all seemed to go straight at the keeper. Carl Grimshaw is always a handful and once again he led the line well following his early header and had a couple of shots one just wide and the other straight at Ashley. It was Mark Adams, who is having an excellent season, who was the player producing the most goal attempts, a couple of efforts went narrowly past the post and Ashley saved his other shots. Danny Marland has not had much match time recently and he worked hard up front with little success. Nathan Fairhurst and Spencer Bibby both had shots over the bar but overall in the first half clear cut chances for Charnock were few despite them having most of the possession. Bacup’s main threat came down their right with Anthony Hall proving to be a tricky customer and debutant Benn Veitch had a difficult task in containing him in the first half. On 31 minutes Hall cut inside and tested Bates from distance but it was an easy save for the big keeper. The visitors almost took the lead in added time of the first half Bates failed to hang on to a shot from distance but he was alert enough to block a shot from Artjoms Burtorins when the ball ran free. Just before the break Benn Veitch suffered an ankle injury and Josh Norgate replaced him after the interval.

Goalless at the interval Charnock needed to turn their domination into goals in the second half and it did not take long for the deadlock to be broken but straight after the interval Spencer Bibby cut in from the right and his shot flashed across the face of the goal. On 47 minutes a centre from Mark Adams was turned into his own net by Tom Halligan. The visitors came back with a right wing corner which was partially cleared by the home defence and Martyn Broderick shot from distance over the bar. Another shot from Adams was straight at Ashley and then Bacup broke down the left and Luke Gibson was at full stretch to clear the centre out for a corner. The visitors then had a shout for a penalty but the referee waved play on. Jon Hession replaced Danny Marland on 63 minutes. Charnock were pressing for a second goal and Grimshaw had an effort just past the goal angle. Another Adams shot went just beyond the far post and a Spencer Bibby free kick from the left saw Ashley have to scramble to turn the ball out for a corner at the back post. The goal finally came on 71 minutes SPENCER BIBBY, who had a fine game, cut in from the right beating two defenders before shooting against a post, the ball was then returned from the right and Grimshaw laid it off to him and this time his shot found the back of the net. CARL GRIMSHAW scored a fine goal on 80 minutes spinning on a diagonal ball from the left from Josh Norgate to beat the keeper. Lewis Swarbrick came on for Anthony Hough on 82 minutes and Aaron Ashley did well to divert a Grimshaw header from a right wing corner out for another corner before Grimshaw again found the net in added time but on this occasion the goal was disallowed for offside.

It was a comprehensive victory in the end and as expected the team had put the problems of Boxing Day behind them and maintained their challenge for promotion. Many thanks to the 200 spectators who made it the second best home attendance of the season so far.

On Saturday 7th January Charnock are again at home to Litherland REMYCA who are also handily placed in the table the kick-off is the usual 3.00pm.

Keith Reader

Club Sponsors