Latest News.....Saturday, 20th October.......The 1st Team are at home to Runcorn Town in the first round of the League Challenger Cup...The Reserves travel to Barrow to face Furness Cavaliers, both games 3pm kick off.
Club Information
Latest News 
Club History 
How to Find Us 
Officials & Contacts 
Junior Website 
Our Sponsors 
1st Team
Fixtures & Results 
Match Reports 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Player Profiles 
Fixtures & Results 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Useful Links 
Scores Predictions 
Club Merchandise 

 Latest News
Date                                             Headlines


Charnock were eliminated from the Emirates FA Cup losing 4-3 at Mossie Close to Penistone Church. Nathan Fairhurst, penalty, Luke Barrow and Matt Davison scored the goals.
The Reserves drew 2-2 at Walney Island Ryan Donnellan and Lindley scoring the goals.
Charnock Richard 3 Penistone Church 4

Saturday 5th August 2017, FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round


Att: 254

Team: Adam Halton, Spencer Bibby (Matt Leatham 85), Josh Norgate, Ashley Young, Ryan Schofield, Joe Noblet, Matt Davison, Nathan Fairhurst, Carl Grimshaw, Jon Hession (Luke Barrow 9, Oliver Evans 79), Damian Dashti. Subs: (Not Used) David Prout, Luke Gibson.

It was another historic day for Charnock Richard Football Club as they made their debut in the Emirates FA Cup but their hopes of a cup run were dashed by Northern Counties East Side Penistone Church who now have the prospect of a home tie against Litherland REMYCA in the next round. After Charnock had taken a two goal lead Penistone Church, with three goals in nine minutes just before the interval, turned the tie around to go in at the interval leading 3-2. The second half saw Charnock take the game to the visitors and equalise but Penistone scored what turned out to be the winning goal with 14 minutes remaining.

Almost all of the Charnock squad that won promotion last season re-signed and so the starting line-up was full of familiar faces. New signing Joe Noblet was making his debut and there was also a first start for Matt Leatham when he came on as a substitute in the second half. Anthony Hough was injured and Mark Adams, Jack Sanders and Ross O’Farrell were away on holiday.

It was a fine afternoon and there was a satisfying attendance of 254. Charnock kicked off playing towards the Charter Lane End with a light breeze at their backs and lined up with a back three. Not surprisingly the visitors started the game cautiously so it was Charnock that took the initiative from the kick off and an early dangerous back pass from the visitors saw keeper Rhodes hoofing the ball away onto the cricket field. Charnock took the lead after only seven minutes, Carl Grimshaw did well to stop the ball going over the bye-line for a goal kick and when he pulled the ball back Jon Hession was brought down by Luke Johnson. Unfortunately Jon suffered an injury and eventually had to be helped off the pitch and he took no further part in the game. NATHAN FAIRHURST stepped up to take the delayed spot kick and comfortably beat Rhodes to give the Villagers the boost of an early goal. Luke Barrow came on to replace Hession. Charnock continued to make most of the running for the following ten minutes or so but Penistone began to show their attacking potential with their ability to break at speed. Twice they almost went clear on goal but two excellent last ditch tackles stopped them and ensured that Charnock maintained their advantage. Charnock had a chance to increase their lead on 26 minutes, Luke Barrow did well down the right and his cross went across the goal to Bibby beyond the back post but he screwed his shot well wide. Grimshaw was competing against two tall central defenders but he headed on a long ball and Barrow’s shot was blocked at source. The visitors were, at this stage, looking dangerous but Charnock made it 2-0 after 33 minutes, Carl Grimshaw was fouled out by the right corner flag, the free kick was cleared to LUKE BARROW, on the edge of the area, and he hit a delightful lob over Rhodes into the top right hand corner of the net. Charnock’s lead however quickly disappeared because Penistone were not daunted by falling further behind and two minutes later a left wing corner was headed home at close quarters by the unmarked Jordan Barnett and the visitors were back in the tie. Another left wing corner for the visitors two minutes later was delivered to the near post but this time the home defence cleared the ball out of the area, it fell to an opponent whose powerful shot was going wide until it was diverted into the net by Barnett. It was 2-2. Then on 42 minutes yet another left wing corner played to the near post was again scrambled away but it fell to Corduri just outside the area and a powerful shot made the score 3-2. It had been a remarkable nine minutes in which the tie had been turned on its head. It is difficult to recall any game in which three corners in such a short time had proved so effective. Yes Charnock’s defending of the set pieces had been lax but the last two goals came from opponents who had not hesitated to shoot and their powerful shots had resulted in success. The Villagers went in at half time requiring some re-organisation if they were to get back into the tie.

There were no substitutions for the second half but manager Andy Westwell made positional changes with Spencer Bibby moving to play in his usual position of right back and the team lined up with a back four. Penistone could have increased their lead only four minutes into the second half when Smith found himself unmarked right in front of goal but he fired over the bar. It was a real let off for the home side. It soon became apparent that the visitors were largely content to defend their lead and rely on their ability to break with pace to create further goal chances. Charnock were on the front foot and almost equalised on 51 minutes, a right wing corner was headed back across goal from beyond the far post and Ryan Schofield’s header was cleared off the line by Tom Brennan. The visitors broke on 55 minutes and an attack down the right created some panic defending in the home goalmouth with several half clearances before the danger was averted. After 62 minutes Carl Grimshaw set Luke Barrow away down the left he cut in along the bye-line but his cross was diverted for a corner. Charnock at last equalised on 67 minutes, Damian Dashti, starting his 22nd season at the club, took a quick, short left wing corner on 67 minutes and Joe Noblet delivered a centre, MATT DAVISON headed home right in front of the goal. The visitors immediately changed their tactics and went on the offensive looking for a winner. A Grimshaw powerful shot from a narrow angle saw Rhodes fail to hang onto the ball but it was safely cleared. Dashti did well down the left and his cross saw Davidson, in front of goal, just fail to control the ball. Davison, upset that he was not awarded a corner, was booked after expressing his disappointment to the referee on 75 minutes. On 76 minutes Norgate was penalised for a push on the edge of the area and the resulting free kick bounced down off the underside of the bar and with the home defence static substitute Scott Whittington turned the loose ball into the net. Charnock once again were facing elimination from the competition. Oliver Evans replaced substitute Luke Barrow on 79 minutes and three minutes later Charnock were reduced to 10 men when Matt Davison was shown a second yellow card for a wild challenge on the keeper. Matt Leatham replaced Spencer Bibby on 85 minutes as Charnock went all out for an equaliser. The visitor’s defence had proved to be resolute throughout the game with tall central defenders Brett Lovell and Tom Brennan dominating the middle and keeper Adam Rhodes dealing very capably with any high balls consequently Charnock never, in the closing stages, looked like forcing a replay. In fact with Charnock, understandably, so intent on charging forward there were several chances for Penistone to make the winning margin more substantial. A free kick resulted in them having the ball in the net after 83 minutes but the offside flag was raised. Another break saw Halton doing well to thwart Nathan Keightley as the game inevitably finished with a win for the visitors after four added minutes.

It had been a very entertaining game but it had turned out not to be Charnock’s day the fateful three left wing corner kicks in the first half proving to be the decisive action in the game. Congratulations to Penistone Church, they have previously been eliminated at this stage of the competition, they proved to be worthy winners and Charnock must now concentrate on their league performances starting with the away fixture at Barnton on Saturday 12th August kick off 3.00pm.

Keith Reader

Club Sponsors