Latest News....Saturday, 15th December....The 1st Team won 4-0 at home to Litherland REMYCA....The Reserves had no fixture.
Club Information
Latest News 
Club History 
How to Find Us 
Officials & Contacts 
Junior Website 
Our Sponsors 
1st Team
Fixtures & Results 
Match Reports 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Player Profiles 
Fixtures & Results 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Useful Links 
Scores Predictions 
Club Merchandise 

 Latest News
Date                                             Headlines


Charnock won through to the 2nd Qualifying Round of the BuildBase FA Vase with a comfortable 7-1 win at Selby Town. The goals came from Mark Adams 2, Carl Grimshaw 2, Joe Noblet, Oliver Evans and Matt Davison.
The Reserves won through to the 2nd round of the League Challenge Cup following a 2-0 win at Furness Rovers.
Selby Town 1 Charnock Richard 7

Saturday 9th September 2017, Buildbase FA Vase Qualifying Round 1


Att: 112

Team: Adam Halton, Matt Davison, Ross O’Farrell, Jack Sanders (Kallum Banks 64), Ryan Schofield, Joe Noblet, Spencer Bibby, Nathen Fairhurst, Carl Grimshaw (Connor Loftus 67), Mark Adams (Oliver Evans 75), Mark Woods. Sub: (Not Used) Ashley Young.

Charnock Richard had a decent run in the Buildbase FA Vase competition last season only going out at the 2nd Proper Round to Staveley Miners Welfare and for this 1st Qualifying Round in the new season they made the long trip to Selby in East Yorkshire hoping to enjoy even more success in the competition. It is never easy to judge the capabilities of clubs that play in different leagues but Selby Town, who play in the Northern Counties East League in Division 1, have made a decent start to the season and lie in fourth position in the table so Charnock travelled expecting a difficult game. Charnock took an early lead but the home side came back to equalise and the game was locked at 1-1 before three goals for the Villagers in only nine minutes saw the game virtually over at half time. So it proved with Charnock adding three further goals in the second period to run out as 7-1 winners and to qualify for a home match against Bacup Borough in the next round.

There were several changes to the side that had an excellent 3-1 win at Hanley Town the previous week. Adam Halton returned in goal, Josh Norgate was suspended so Ross O’Farrell moved into the back three and Joe Noblet started in midfield. Anthony Hough was injured so Spencer Bibby came in as left wing back. Ashley Young was back from holiday and joined Connor Loftus, Oliver Evans and Kallum Banks on the bench. Heavy showers were the order of the day but this game saw no precipitation until the final five minutes and with no wind to affect the game it was ideal conditions for football.

Charnock won the toss and Selby kicked off playing towards the north end, Mark Adams went clear in the first 20 seconds but the assistant’s flag for offside stopped his charge towards goal. It was a fine start for the team in green who lined up as in previous games with three at the back, Ryan Scofield, Ross O’Farrell and Jack Sanders which allowed them to have Nathan Fairhurst, Joe Noblet and Mark Woods in midfield. The early exchanges saw the teams evenly matched and neither goalkeeper was tested until Halton was called upon to collect a header after Casey Stewart had delivered from the right. The number 7 made a great start to the game and proved to be a constant menace for the opening half hour dangerous enough for manager Andy Westwell to switch Ross O’Farrell to the left early in the half. A shot from Flanagan went narrowly past the Charnock post and an interchange of passes between Adams and Noblet almost put the former in on goal. When the referee deemed that the keeper had handled an intended back pass it was an indirect free kick for Charnock inside the box but Grimshaw’s shot was blocked by the wall. A slip on the greasy surface by O’Farrell saw Selby break but Stewart shot high over the bar. Charnock replied with Joe Noblet’s shot going narrowly over the bar. Charnock took the lead on 17 minutes, Mark Woods played a fine ball out to MATT DAVIDSON and he sped past two defenders before cutting in along the bye-line to beat keeper Paul Hagreen at his near post. The home side retaliated and Carl Grimshaw had to clear from right in front of his own goal and Selby maintained the pressure with Flanagan hitting a free kick narrowly past the post. Charnock should have added a second goal on 23 minutes Davison and Noblet combined on the right but Grimshaw’s header from the cross went beyond the far post. A minute later and the home side equalised, a break on the right saw a neat turn from Stewart and the visitor’s defence failed to deal with his cross and Brett Lucas fired the ball into the net via a post.

The pace of Davison on the right and Mark Adams down the middle were causing the home side problems and after 31 minutes Adams did well cutting in from the right he pulled the ball back to CARL GRIMSHAW and although Hagreen got a hand on his shot he could not prevent the ball bulging the net. Charnock reverted to a back four with Spencer Bibby moving to right back. Charnock were now beginning to dominate the game, a lob from Davison dropped just over the bar before Charnock made it 3-1 on 38 minutes. A ball over the top put MARK ADAMS clear, his attempt to avoid the advancing keeper sent him out to the left but as Hagreen scrambled to get back Mark hit a superb lob over his head into the far corner of the goal. Two minutes later the tie was effectively over when Noblet delivered a diagonal free kick from the left and it was turned in at the back post by GRIMSHAW. Understandably a number of heads dropped in the Selby side and Charnock took compete control of the tie. Grimshaw’s overhead kick went well wide and Noblet shot over the bar just before half time.

As could be expected Charnock dominated the opening quarter of an hour of the second 45 minutes and increased their lead on 49 minutes, Adams speed down the right caused problems and NOBLET headed home his centre. When Grimshaw won a header on 53 minutes Davison used his speed on the right again and although Hagreen got down to get a hand to his shot MARK ADAMS was alert enough to run in and divert the ball into the net before it went past the far post. With Charnock 6-1 to the good, understandably perhaps, the Villagers took their foot off the gas somewhat and Selby had several chances to reduce the arrears. Kallum Banks replaced Jack Sanders after 64 minutes and then Connor Loftus came on for Carl Grimshaw three minutes later. Spencer Bibby had to head a cross back over his own bar and Halton had to get down at the foot of a post to save a shot from Flanagan as Selby, at last, put some pressure on the Villager’s defence. Oliver Evans replaced Mark Adams after 75 minutes and immediately scored Charnock’s seventh goal. O’Farrell hit a ball over the top and EVANS was clear, it appeared that he had over hit the ball as the keeper came out but he retained possession and hit a right foot shot into the empty net. The remaining minutes were played out without any further changes to the score line and Charnock moved through to the next round with a very comfortable win.

The league fixture at home to 1874 Northwich on Saturday 16th September has been postponed because the visitors are involved in the FA Cup on that date. Charnock's next game is away to Barnoldswick Town on Tuesday 19th September, kick off 7.45pm.

Keith Reader

Club Sponsors