Latest News....Saturday, 15th December....The 1st Team won 4-0 at home to Litherland REMYCA....The Reserves had no fixture.
Club Information
Latest News 
Club History 
How to Find Us 
Officials & Contacts 
Junior Website 
Our Sponsors 
1st Team
Fixtures & Results 
Match Reports 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Player Profiles 
Fixtures & Results 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Useful Links 
Scores Predictions 
Club Merchandise 

 Latest News
Date                                             Headlines


Charnock had to be satisfied with a point following a 1-1 draw at Congleton Town. Carl Grimshaw was the scorer for Charnock.
The Reserves had a good 3-2 win at home to Lostock St Gerards Reserves and the Academy recorded an excellent 7-1 win away at Canberra Corinthians in the second round of the Guildhall Cup.
Congleton Town 1 Charnock Richard 1

Saturday 11th November 2017, Hallmark Security League Premier Division


Att : 183

TEAM : Halton, Bibby, Walker, O’Farrell, Schofield, Young, Davison, Fairhurst, Grimshaw (Cpt), Hession (Woods 84), Adams (Hough 76). SUBS (Not used) : Sherlock, Noblet, Sanders.

Scorer : Grimshaw (29)

Charnock came into this game looking to avenge last weekends defeat at home to Abbey Hey and ultimately came away slightly disappointed not to take all three points in what was a pulsating end to end game which saw numerous chances for both teams throughout the game. Congleton took the lead mid way through the first half but Charnock responded quickly to level the match. The 1-1 half time scoreline was probably a fair reflection of the first half but playing down hill in the second half, Charnock missed a number of good chances to claim the vctory. In the end, Congleton, who went down to 10 men very late in the game, were probably the happier of the two teams to end the game with a hard earned draw.

The Charnock starting line up was unchanged from the side that had recorded an impressive cup win at Prestwich Heys in midweek. Mark Woods, now back from Holiday, joined Anthony Hough, Joe Noblet, Dave Sherlock and Jack Sanders on the bench.

This was Charnocks first ever visit to the Richborough Estates Stadium, an impressive Northern Premier League standard ground which boasted plenty of cover for spectators and an excellent clubhouse. As is tradition for this time of the year, a minutes silence was observed before the kick off in recognition of Remembrance Day. Charnock started the first half kicking up the slope on a relatively soft pitch which had endured a fair amount of rain in the preceeding days. Both teams made their intentions clear with end to end attacking football on display from both teams right from the start of the game. The first chance of the game fell to Charnock on 3 minutes as Grimshaw fed in Davison on the right who’s left foot shot was tipped over the bar by keeper Andrew Jones. As the game approached 10 minutes, Congleton were now seeing more of the play and a shot in from distance struck a player in the Charnock box with big claims for hand ball but the referee waved play on. A minute later, a great run down the left from Adams saw him cross perfectly to Grimshaw but his free header in the box was wide of the right post. Charnock continued to press the home defence and a good break down the right from Davison saw his cross strike the left upright. Congleton then broke quickly from this and their number 7 Adegbenro drove straight through the Charnock defence with a mazy run which ended with a last ditch tackle stopping him from getting a clear shot in on goal. Congleton then saw some good possession over the next ten minutes. A break down the right on 18 minutes saw a Congleton cross come in to an unmarked striker who put his header wide when he looked all but certain to score. The deadlock was then broken by the home side on 25 minutes when a flick header from Foster found its way into the top right corner of the Charnock goal following another right wing cross, much to the delight of the vocal home contingent. Charnock almost replied immediately from the kick off when a ball was flicked on to Grimshaw who was in on goal but the keeper made another good one on one save. On 29 minutes there was another big shout for a penalty in the Charnock box but the Villagers broke quickly down the right wing and Davison’s inch perfect cross was comfortably side footed into the goal by GRIMSHAW to bring the scores level. Two minutes later Grimshaw was again in on goal but the ball bobbled as he struck his shot which was confortably saved by the keeper. Another break from the rampant Davison down the right on 37 minutes saw him feed a ball across to Adams but his curled shot was just beyond the top left upright. The final action of the first half saw Adams get another shot in on goal which was parried over the bar by the keeper.

Charnock started the second half now kicking down the slope and on 48 minutes the Congleton keeper spilled a cross which was collected by Grimshaw but his shot was comfortably cleared off the line by a defender. The first chance for Congleton in the second period came from a long free kick but it was well over the bar. On 55 minutes, a rather rash tackle from Bibby saw his name in the referees book. Two minutes later, Adegbenro produced a great run down the left for Congleton and his initial shot was parried out by by Halton but the attempted clearance from Schofield fell back into the path of Adegbenro and his powerful second shot struck the underside of the Charnock cross-bar before dropping to another Congleton striker. A goalmouth scramble then ensued and resulted in a brilliant clearance off the line by O’Farrell to somehow keep the scores level – it was a big let off for Charnock. On 60 minutes, Charnock broke quickly down the left with Adams and Walker combining well before Walker sent in a great cross to an unmarked Grimshaw but he placed his header frustratingly over the bar. It was all Charnock at this stage of the game as the visitors pushed forward looking for a winner and Congleton seemed to be content at defending and trying to catch Charnock on the break. Hough came on for Adams on 76 minutes and a minute later, another good flick on from Grimshaw to feed Hession saw his shot easily saved by the keeper. Two minutes later, another break through the centre from Grimshaw saw his run into the box impeded by a defender but the referee again waved play on despite Charnock claims for a foul. Charnock were now in control of the game and should have taken the lead on 83 minutes when Grimshaw was again fed through for a one on one with the keeper. The keeper saved his initial shot but the rebound fell straight back into his path of for what looked like a simple tap into an open goal but somehow his shot was again blocked on the line by a defender and the goalmouth scramble which ensued was eventually cleared away by the home side. Woods then replaced Hession on 84 minutes and a minute later another Charnock cross saw Grimshaw challenge the keeper as the loose ball dropped to Young who put the ball into the net – unfortunately the goal wouldn’t count as the Referee had blown for a foul on the keeper a second earlier. In the final minute of normal time, another shot in from Charnock was cleared off the line by a Congleton defender and resulted in a big shout from the Charnock contingent that the ball had crossed the line. However nothing was given from the linesman and Referee and Congleton had survived another Charnock attempt on goal. A minute into added time saw an incident near the Congleton right corner flag which resulted in a straight red card for Congleton’s Morris for a stamp on Woods. With just a few minutes of added time remaining, Charnock had one more excellent chance to claim the three points when a cross from Walker was glanced on by the head of Grimshaw to Young who was clear in on goal but he somehow pulled his shot just wide of the right post.

As the two teams left the pitch following a fantastic game of football with lots of end to end action and chances for both sides, it was probably Congleton who were the more happier of the two teams to take a point from the game. Charnock had performed well enough throughout the game to take the victory but ultimately, Charnock’s failure to convert a high number of good chances, particularly in the second half, was again a deciding factor in the outcome of this match. However any point gained away from home is more than acceptable at this level of football so we shouldn’t be too negative about the result following another good all-round performance from the team.

Charnock continue with their league action again this coming Tuesday evening when Burscough are the visitors to Mossie Park, with a 7.45pm kick-off.

Shaun Tootell

Club Sponsors