Latest News....Saturday, 15th December....The 1st Team won 4-0 at home to Litherland REMYCA....The Reserves had no fixture.
Club Information
Latest News 
Club History 
How to Find Us 
Officials & Contacts 
Junior Website 
Our Sponsors 
1st Team
Fixtures & Results 
Match Reports 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Player Profiles 
Fixtures & Results 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Useful Links 
Scores Predictions 
Club Merchandise 

 Latest News
Date                                             Headlines


Charnock have a record breaking 9-1 win against AFC Darwen at Mossie Park. Carl Grimshaw, Matt Davison and David Sherlock all score twice and Ashley Young, Anthony Hough and Jon Hession score the other goals.
Charnock Richard 9 AFC Darwen 1

Tuesday 28th November 2017 North West Counties League Premier Division


Att: 117

Team: Jordan Gidley, Spencer Bibby, James Walker, Jack Sanders, Ryan Schofield, Ashley Young, Matt Davison, Nathan Fairhurst (Joe Noblet 59), Carl Grimshaw (David Sherlock 67), Jon Hession, Mark Woods (Anthony Hough 65). Sub (Not Used) Adam Halton.

The final score proved to be a record for Charnock Richard in the North West Counties League and it was their best win since they beat Leigh Athletic 12-0 in Round 2 of the Lancashire Amateur Shield back in October 2013. As regards higher league victories you have to go back to the start of the 2012/13 season when the Villagers went to Tempest United and recorded a 10-0 win. Charnock from the beginning of this season were scoring plenty of goals but they tended to dry up through late October early November; it was not that their performances were particularly inferior more that they were not converting chances. As long as a team continues to create goal chances there will always be a match when they convert the majority of them and for the Villagers this was the game.

Charnock were three goals to the good by the half hour mark but then a converted penalty gave Darwen a little glimmer of hope but it did not last long because the Villagers almost immediately made it 4-1. That was the score at the interval. Then in the second half with the score at 6-1 Darwen, to make things even more difficult, were reduced to 10 men and the Charnock substitutes then added another three goals.

There was one change to the starting eleven that performed so well in the previous game, a 3-0 win at Widnes, Ross O’Farrell was out injured and Jack Sanders started. Mark Adams was ill and Connor Loftus had suffered a set-back in his comeback from a ham-string injury suffering an elbow injury in a reserve fixture. Adam Halton was available again but on the bench because Jordan Gidley retained his place in goal.
It was a fine, but cold, evening with little wind and an attendance of 117 was encouraging at this stage of the season.

The fixture at Darwen earlier in the season had been abandoned at half time with the home side winning 1-0 due to the pitch becoming waterlogged so this was expected to be another game where Charnock would have to be at their best. Darwen kicked off playing towards the Charter Lane end and the Villagers immediately took the game to their visitors. A centre from the left almost fell to Jon Hession and then Jack Sanders found the target from a left wing corner but James in goal collected the ball easily. With what now has become an established back four after playing three at the back earlier in the season the defence has only conceded more than one goal in one match since the beginning of September and once again the visitors had few opportunities to test Gidley in this game. With Ashley Young joining Nathen Fairhurst in the centre of midfield in recent games Charnock have two of the best passers of the ball in the league and once again they pulled all the strings in midfield. Charnock took an early lead when Nathen Fairhurst broke into the opposition half and then delivered a fine pass for Davison charging down the right, he delivered a centre from which CARL GRIMSHAW headed into the net. Darwen moved the ball around well at times and there were several early instances when they may well have been rewarded, Gidley came out to clear and the ball hit an attacker but it fell conveniently for the home team. Lack of concentration by the Villagers allowed Darwen to set up a shooting chance for Zac Clark from a free kick but he fired narrowly wide. When Walker conceded a free kick out on the right Gidley came out and missed his punch, the ball was eventually cleared but it could easily have fallen more kindly for the visitors. Charnock were showing plenty of enthusiasm to attack but there were more long balls being played than in most of their games so far this season. A good move on the left finished with Grimshaw shooting straight at James and there were 22 minutes on the clock when Charnock added to their lead and it was pretty basic with Ashley Young producing a fine through ball that set JON HESSION free and he made no mistake in beating the advancing James. Only seven minutes later a ball was played in to the feet of Grimshaw on the edge of the area and he found DAVISON and he beat the keeper from close range. Charnock conceded a rather unnecessary penalty on 38 minutes, an obvious push being correctly penalised. Zac Clark stepped up and gave Jordan Gidley no chance. The visitors were back in the game but their joy only lasted about a minute before Charnock went down and scored again, Walker centring from the left and eventually DAVISON finding the net; Darwen were a little unlucky with the shot being deflected off a defender giving James no chance. The visitors still kept plugging away and Gidley had to go full length to divert a shot for a corner. Charnock, leading 4-1, were comfortable at half time and for once their supporters had no misses from guilt-edged chances to discuss.

The second half saw much of the same not unexpectantly with Charnock dominating the play and Darwen producing very little offensively. An early Mark Woods header was headed out for corner and James made a smart save with his arm to a Davison effort from close range. Clark brought a diving save from Gidley on one of the visitors’ rare excursions into the home half. A free kick centrally just outside the area resulted in Charnock adding to their lead on 58 minutes. Walker ran over the ball and ASHLEY YOUNG hit the free kick into the corner of the goal. A minute later it was 6-1 with GRIMSHAW hitting a loose ball from distance spectacularly into the unguarded goal. Joe Noblet immediately came on for Nathan Fairhurst. Matt Davison fought his way into the area from the right but his shot was across the goal. Mark Woods was replaced by Anthony Hough and David Sherlock came on for Carl Grimshaw. Another neat move saw Hession play Grimshaw in but his goal was disallowed for offside. On 69 minutes Darwen’s Kiel Lonsdale was shown a straight red after a tackle, it did not look that bad but the referee did not hesitate in producing the card. The visitors’ evening was going from bad to worse and so it proved when the resulting free kick was hit into the area and HOUGH directed a shot into the corner of the goal. SHERLOCK with his first chance after Davison had had another good run down the right shot over the bar but then on 83 minutes he forced his way into the area and found the corner of the net. Two minutes later, after James had come out of goal, the ball rebounded to him and he hit a delicate shot that dipped under the bar into the unguarded goal.

It was a convincing win to say the least but it had been a game when finally Charnock had taken nearly every chance that had come their way. Darwen had been unfortunate to be the opposition when the Villagers had produced such a devastating show of finishing.

Keith Reader

Club Sponsors