Latest News ..... Saturday, 27th April ..... The 1st Team are at home against Whitchurch Alport in their final game of the season, kick off 3pm.
Club Information
Latest News 
Club History 
How to Find Us 
Officials & Contacts 
Junior Website 
Our Sponsors 
1st Team
Fixtures & Results 
Match Reports 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Player Profiles 
Fixtures & Results 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Useful Links 
Scores Predictions 
Club Merchandise 

 Latest News
Date                                             Headlines


Charnock progresssed into the third round of the Macron Cup with an excellent 4-0 cup win at Barnoldswick Town. Carl Grimshaw 2, Joe Noblet and Anthony Hough scored the goals for the Villagers. Charnock have been drawn away at Bootle for the next round to be played in Mid March.
Barnoldswick Town 0 Charnock Richard 4

Tuesday 9th January 2018, Macron Cup Round 2


Att : 80

TEAM : Halton, Bibby, Walker, O’Farrell, Sanders, Young, Noblet (Davison 70), Fairhurst (Schofield 75), Grimshaw Cpt, Sherlock (Hession 65), Hough.

This cup fixture was originally scheduled to take place on the 21st November but a continuing run of dismal weather meant that the tie would only eventually take place at the sixth attempt some six weeks later. Charnock came into this re-scheduled fixture following a hard fought win at Abbey Hey on the previous Saturday and quickly took control of the game following an early strike from Carl Grimshaw. Joe Noblet increased Charnocks lead on the half hour mark and a further two second half goals for the villagers cemented their place in the third round of the Macron League Cup.

Only players registered for the club to play in the original fixture in November were eligible to play in this re-scheduled match, so there were a number of changes to the Charnock starting line up from the previous Saturday. Recent signings Harvey Close and Alex Ralph were ineligible to start and Mark Woods was still suspended, so Joe Noblet, Anthony Hough, Ross O’Farrell and Jack Sanders came into the starting line-up. Matt Davison and Jon Hession were joined on the bench by Ryan Schofield who was back from a recent suspension. It was a very cold evening with the pitch looking a little heavy but the crowd of 80 were looking forward to a competitive match.

Charnock started the game kicking towards the clubhouse end and were immediately on the front foot from the kick off. With only 3 minutes played, Carl GRIMSHAW collected a loose ball on the edge of the Barnoldswick box and fired in a curling shot beyond the keeper into the top right corner of the goal. It had been an excellent start from the villagers and Charnock continued to press forward during the early stages of the match. A good run into the box from Hough on 10 minutes saw him collide with the keeper and despite shouts for a penalty, nothing was given by Referee Michael Barlow. On 17 minutes, an excellent cross from Bibby on the right fell to Sherlock in the box but he was unable to control the ball as Charnock continued to dominate the play. The first good chance of the game for the home side came in the 22nd minute, when a shot in from the edge of the box brought out a good save from Halton. Shortly afterwards, another right wing cross from Bibby was headed into the Barnoldswick goal by Grimshaw but the assistants flag was raised early for an off-side. Three minutes later, some good play from Grimshaw in the box set up Sherlock, but his effort was well over the bar. Charnock further increased their lead on the half hour mark when Sherlock passed an excellent ball through to Joe NOBLET down the right and he coolly slotted the ball in at the near post to give Charnock a well deserved 2-0 lead. Barnoldswick should have narrowed the lead on 34 minutes when a run into the box was blasted over the bar with just Charnock keeper Halton to beat. The game was now a little more even as the half time approached but Charnock comfortably saw out the first half with no further concerns.

The villagers started the second half again on the front foot with Fairhurst and Walker combining well with Grimshaw on 48 minutes before Carl’s shot on goal brought out a good save from the Barnoldswick keeper. The home side then broke immediately down the right wing despite claims for an off-side and Halton was forced to make a relatively comfortable save from the resultant shot on goal. On 52 minutes, an excellent cross from Walker on the left was met by an unmarked GRIMSHAW in the box and Carl was easily able to direct the ball into the corner of the goal to give Charnock a commanding 3-0 lead. The villagers continued to control the play and then further increased their lead on 64 minutes when a good run into the box by Ant HOUGH saw him get past a couple of home defenders before slotting the ball into the bottom left corner of the goal. It was now time for Andy Westwell to introduce the Charnock substitutes over the next ten minutes as Hession replaced Sherlock, Davison replaced Noblet and then Schofield replaced Fairhurst on 75 minutes. Two minutes later, an effort from Hession was well saved by the keeper and as the ball flew up, it was headed goal-bound by Grimshaw before the young keeper made an outstanding recovery save to tip the ball over the bar. However, the goal wouldn’t have counted as the assistants flag had already been raised for an off-side. Charnock were then able to easily control the possession and comfortably see out the remaining minutes of the game to record a well deserved cup victory.

I had been another excellent performance which sees the villagers progress into Round 3 of the Macron Cup where they have now been drawn away at Bootle in the Northern section of the draw to be played in mid March. Charnock continue with their league action this coming Saturday 13th January, when they host Ashton Athletic at Mossie Park with a 3.00pm kick-off.

Shaun Tootell

Club Sponsors