Latest News......Saturday 24th August.....The 1st Team drew 1-1 at home to Longridge Town in the FA Cup....The Reserves lost 5-1 at Walney Island.
Club Information
Latest News 
Club History 
How to Find Us 
Officials & Contacts 
Junior Website 
Our Sponsors 
1st Team
Fixtures & Results 
Match Reports 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Player Profiles 
Fixtures & Results 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Sponsorship Brochure 
Scores Predictions 
Club Merchandise 

 Latest News
Date                                             Headlines


Charnock Richard won 4-0 at Winsford United, the scorers were Carl Grimshaw 2, Danny Regan and Alex Ralph.
The Reserves won 3-0 at home to Kendal United with Hession, Aird and Whittle scoring the goals.
Winsford United 0 Charnock Richard 4

Saturday 6th October 2018, North West Counties League Premier Division


Attendance 198


Winsford United: Michael Langley, Damian Skolorzynski (Sam Howell 58), Kallum Boyle (Dahrius Waldron 22), Ryan Hopper, Lee Duckworth, William Foster, Sam Marshall, Lee Jones, Peter Walling, Liam Newman (Joe Duckworth 66), Perry Bircumshaw. Subs: (Not Used) Dan Byrnes, Dean Clarke.

Charnock Richard: Adam Halton, Ross O’Farrell, James Walker (Ryan Schofield 39), Joe Noblet, Jack Sanders, Callum Darcy (Mark Adams 79) , Danny Regan, Troy Carsley, Carl Grimshaw, Oliver Oxley (Mark Woods 70), Alex Ralph. Subs: (Not Used) Ashley Stott, Jacob Higham.

Following the disappointing home defeat by Padiham on the previous Tuesday, Charnock needed to produce an improved performance in this game. Winsford United have struggled this season and they failed to seriously trouble the team in green in this game. Two goals in the first half gave Charnock a comfortable lead and a third goal just after the interval really decided the match. Down to 10 men after 70 minutes the Villagers then scored a fourth goal before fairly comfortably holding out for their first clean sheet since the first game of the season.

Nathan Fairhurst was out injured and Ashley Stott, Ryan Schofield and Mark Woods all dropped to the bench. There was the rather surprising sight of James Walker lining up at the back, he could hardly walk off the pitch on the previous Saturday. Troy Carsley made his first start for the club in midfield, Joe Noblet and Oliver Oxley also started. Mark Adams retained his place on the bench alongside the returning Jake Higham.

It was a bright afternoon with a sharp shower just before the kick off. Charnock won the toss so Winsford kicked off. Oxley broke clear within the first minute but faced with an advancing goalkeeper he shot wide. However, it set the tone of the game with Charnock looking the most threatening of the teams. Regan broke down the right but his cross saw Grimshaw flagged for offside. Sanders, under pressure, could only head weakly to the keeper when a free kick came in from the left. Winsford had a great chance when Perry Bircumshaw broke clear down the left on 10 minutes but his diagonal cross was far too deep. Whilst not at their best Charnock were seeing plenty of the ball although the game was very stop start due to the number of fouls committed by both teams. Oxley got down the left and eventually the ball came out to Noblet but his shot was poor. The Villagers took the lead on 15 minutes, a Carsley header saw GRIMSHAW break clear, no flag for offside, and he shot into the corner of the net. The lead was deserved. Joe Noblet then put Regan clear down the right but neither Oxley or Grimshaw could get a foot on his centre. Noblet then caught Boyle after he had cleared the ball, no foul awarded by the referee but the full back had to be replaced by Waldron. Good work on the left finished with a Noblet shot going inches wide. When Ralph centred from the left only a late interception prevented the ball reaching Grimshaw at the back post. Charnock maintained the pressure and a rather strange header from Ross O’Farrell bounced close to the goal line before it was cleared. On 32 minutes Jack Sanders charged forward from his own half, swopped passes with Oxley, and broke clear on goal, he side-stepped the advancing keeper but could then only fire his shot into the side netting, a little more composure was required. At this stage of the game the Villagers should have been leading by three or four goals. Regan then had a header in front of goal from a left wing cross, not easy, but his effort went over the bar. Winsford had threatened very little up to the 34th minute but when Sanders was beaten on the right Walker had to clear from in front of his own goal. Charnock increased their lead on 35 minutes, Noblet did well on the left and REGAN hit a shot that found the net just inside the post. It was Danny’s first goal for the club. Immediately Charnock were opened up down the right and Halton brought off a fine save when Liam Newman hit a powerful shot from the centre. Unfortunately James Walker had to retire with the reoccurrence of his groin injury on 39 minutes, Ryan Schofield replacing him. At the interval the Villagers looked very comfortable leading 2-0.

Winsford, perhaps not unexpectedly, started the second half with renewed enthusiasm and the visiting defence came under pressure for the first time in the match. Schofield did well to nip in to clear an attack and then Liam Newman had a shot that went just beyond the post. Winsford saw the game go beyond them on 51 minutes, RALPH picked the ball up in midfield it looked as if he was going to play Grimshaw in on the left but instead he shot from distance and the ball found the net via the inside of a post. The team in green were now comfortable and largely in control, Bircumshaw had a shot that never really threatened the goal. On 70 minutes a mistimed tackle by O’Farrell on the right tripped a player as he was going clear and the resulting yellow card was his second of the game so he was sent off. Immediately Mark Woods replaced Oxley and he then set up GRIMSHAW who scored his second goal of the game and his 399th in his 10th season in Charnock colours. Troy Carsley, who was making an encouraging second appearance, dropped back into the back three. Whilst the home side saw more of the ball in the latter stages, Adam Halton had to pull off one save and substitute Joe Duckworth shot tamely at Halton and then fired wide, there was a satisfying nil in the goals against slot at the final whistle. On 79th minutes Mark Adams replaced Darcy, a very welcome appearance for the ex-Charnock Junior who had been out since last November and three minutes into added time when Grimshaw and Noblet broke clear Carl could have laid the ball off to Joe but he chose to shoot but his effort was straight at the goalkeeper.

It had been a very comfortable win and Charnock moved out of the bottom half of the table up to eighth place.

Saturday 13th October sees Charnock travel to meet Hallam, who are a Sheffield based team, in the 1st Round Proper of the BuildBase FA Vase. Kick-off 3.00pm.

Keith Reader

Club Sponsors