Latest News......Saturday 24th August.....The 1st Team drew 1-1 at home to Longridge Town in the FA Cup....The Reserves lost 5-1 at Walney Island.
Club Information
Latest News 
Club History 
How to Find Us 
Officials & Contacts 
Junior Website 
Our Sponsors 
1st Team
Fixtures & Results 
Match Reports 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Player Profiles 
Fixtures & Results 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Sponsorship Brochure 
Scores Predictions 
Club Merchandise 

 Latest News
Date                                             Headlines


Charnock lost 2-0 at Mossie Park to 1874 Northwich and the Reserves are eliminated from the Challenge Cup losing 4-3 on penalties after a 1-1 draw.
Charnock Richard 0 1874 Northwich 2

Saturday 17th Nov 2018, Hallmark Security League Premier Division

1874 Northwich 2

Attendance : 203


Charnock Richard: Adam Halton, Joe Noblet, James Walker, Troy Carsley, Ryan Schofield, Matt Westwell, Mark Adams, Nathan Fairhurst, Carl Grimshaw, Oliver Oxley (Mark Woods 74), Ashley Ball (Jake Higham 74).
Subs: (Not Used) Ross O’Farrell, Ashley Young.

1874 Northwich: Dane Rigby, Jordan Tucker, Paul Connor, Jack Pritchard, Mark Jones, Jack Irlam, Callum Gardner (Kazim Waite-Jackson 74), Matthew Wooley, Scott Mc Gowan, Sam Hare, Taylor Kennerley,
Subs: (Not Used) Dan Thomas, James Ormrod, Lucas Weir, Matt Preston.

Two goals from visitors 1874 Northwich, one early in the game and the other just before the final whistle, saw them depart with all three points but it could have all have been different if Charnock had converted three guilt-edged chances in the latter stages of the first half.

There were changes from the side that lost 5-3 at City of Liverpool on the previous Tuesday; Ross O’Farrell, although on the bench, was injured so Troy Carsley dropped into the back four, Mark Woods was relegated to the bench with Mark Adams and Oliver Oxley both starting. There was the welcome sight of Ashley Young, out since the end of August, on the bench but he did not make an appearance. Danny Regan, Spencer Bibby were still on the injury list.

It was a sunny afternoon but the temperature dropped once the sun set. There was a healthy support for the visitors and the attendance of 203 was Charnock’s best of the season in the league. One of the main problems for Charnock this season has been the difficulty in fielding a settled team it has been necessary to make changes for every game. Injuries have made a big impact on team selection but at last the injured players are becoming available. It would have been a relief to be able to field a stronger side for this match against a rapidly improving team who have not had a great start to the season but are quickly now moving up the table. As it was the home side produced a plucky display but in the end could not prevent 1874 Northwich claiming all the points.

Charnock lost the toss and kicked off playing towards the Mawdesley Plantation end with a slight breeze at their backs and the low sun shining into Adam Halton’s face. The visitors started brightly with Kennerley on the left looking lively but it was Charnock who had the first chance, after eight minutes, when Grimshaw headed the ball on and Oxley just beat keeper Rigby to the ball but he was stretching and could only poke the ball beyond the post. Kennerley again did well down the left but then Charnock broke from an 1874 corner with Noblet charging forward and his shot was diverted for a corner. The early pressure from the visitors was rewarded with a goal after 17 minutes, an attack down the left opened up the home defence and Kennerley finished well, hitting the ball between Halton and his near post. Charnock retaliated with Oxley breaking clear, from what looked like an offside position, but his shot came back off the advancing Rigby. Taylor Kennerley continued to cause problems for the home defence but he could not find the vital final ball. On 40 minutes an initially disappointing home corner was returned across the goal from the right by Ash Ball and somehow Mark Adams shot wide from close range when it looked a definite goal. Two minutes later Oxley put Grimshaw clear down the middle but his first time volley soared narrowly over the bar. Then in the final minute of the first half a free kick from just inside the visitors’ half, taken by Noblet, found Grimshaw unmarked at the back post but he headed across the goal and wide. After a shaky start Charnock finished the half encouragingly.

1874 Northwich decidedly upped their game in the second half and Charnock spent a fair amount of the 45 minutes on the back foot. However, despite the visitors gaining the upper hand, Halton in the home goal was not really tested but the Villagers struggled to make any sort of impact in the visitor’s’ penalty area. Midway through the half Charnock produced a spell of football similar to that which saw them finish high in the table the previous season but with Mark Jones in dominating form at the back for the visitors there was no real chances. The only substitutions of the game came on 74th minute, Kazim Waite-Jackson replaced Gardner for 1874 and Mark Woods and Jake Higham came on for Oxley and Ball. Northwich continued to look the team most likely to score and Charnock survived somewhat precariously at times but just when it looked like the result was going to rest on one goal, in the 86th minute, McGowan turned neatly on a cross from the right to hit a shot past Halton from close range.

It may have all been different if Charnock had taken those chances in the first half but there is no future in looking at what might have happened; in the end 1874 deserved their win.

The Villagers are away at Runcorn Town on Wednesday 21st November, kick-off 7.45pm, and then face another difficult home match against the other Northwich side, Victoria, on Saturday 24th November, kick-off 3.00pm.

Keith Reader

Club Sponsors