Latest News......Saturday 24th August.....The 1st Team drew 1-1 at home to Longridge Town in the FA Cup....The Reserves lost 5-1 at Walney Island.
Club Information
Latest News 
Club History 
How to Find Us 
Officials & Contacts 
Junior Website 
Our Sponsors 
1st Team
Fixtures & Results 
Match Reports 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Player Profiles 
Fixtures & Results 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Sponsorship Brochure 
Scores Predictions 
Club Merchandise 

 Latest News
Date                                             Headlines


Charnock Richard defeat Winsford United 6-2 at Mossie Park with Matt Davison scoring twice and Ashley Young, Ross O'Farrell, Carl Grimshaw and Nathan Fairhurst scoring the goals.
Charnock Richard 6 Winsford United 2

Saturday 9th March 2019, Hallmark Security League Premier Division


Attendance : 90


Charnock Richard: Kyle Haslam, Spencer Bibby (Aaron Griffith 81), James Walker, Ashley Young, Ryan Schofield, Troy Carsley (Oliver Oxley 63), Matt Davison, Nathan Fairhurst, Carl Grimshaw, Ross O’Farrell (Mark Woods 74), Joe Noblet. Subs (Not Used) Jake Higham, Oliver Turner.

Winsford United: Josh Samberg, Dean Clarke, Lee Duckworth (Liam Delaney 67), Alex Elliot, Steven Jenyons, William Foster, Rio Gill (Adil Ajmal 74), Lee Jones, Joe Duckworth, Sam Madeley (James Handley 81), Kallum Boyle. Sub: (Not Used) Callum Collison.

Charnock Richard hit six goals, their highest of the season, against struggling Winsford United who had taken a 2-1 lead early in the game. After a lively start, the Villagers took the lead but the visitors bounced back with two goals in five minutes and for a spell Winsford played far better than their league position suggested but Charnock came back with two goals to lead at the interval. On the stroke of half time Winsford were reduced to 10 men and they struggled in the second half conceding three further goals.

Following the 3-0 defeat at the hands of City of Liverpool on the previous Saturday Charnock made three changes; Mark Woods and Jake Higham dropped to the bench and Oliver Turner failed a late fitness test so in came Joe Noblet and James Walker, the latter had only returned from a holiday in Australia two days earlier. There was also the very welcome return of Ashley Young to the starting line-up after the injury he incurred against Runcorn Town in January looked like ruling him out for the rest of the season.

The game was only given the go-ahead after a pitch inspection early in the morning but it played well. It was a fine afternoon but there was a stiff north-westerly wind that had a serious influence on the game. Winsford won the toss and decided to take advantage of the wind so Charnock kicked off playing towards the Mawdesley Plantation end. It was a lively start from the Villagers, Grimshaw almost finding Davison in the area after only two minutes. An attempted back pass from Davison gave the ball to Boyle who cut across from the left and found Gill but his shot lacked power and Haslam saved easily. On eight minutes Jones was yellow carded for a foul on Walker. A Charnock free kick was played to Walker who made ground on his left and his centre flashed across the face of the goal. Charnock were decidedly on the front foot and Matt Davison was looking particularly sharp. A free kick found Grimshaw down the left and with Samberg drawn out into no-mans-land Carl attempted to centre over his head but the keeper caught the ball. Charnock’s superiority was rewarded on 11 minutes, an attack down the left saw a cross find the unmarked DAVISON at the back post and he took his time and found the net. A great through ball from Fairhurst then found Davison in front of goal but his left footed effort was just past the right hand post. It was all looking fine for the Villagers but the score line completely changed in the next six minutes. On 13 minutes Madeley broke clear but Haslam came out and managed to get a good touch on the ball but the big striker managed to recover and found the net from a narrow angle from the left. Immediately Madeley had a shot from distance that went narrowly wide. A pass found Davison down the left, again Samberg left his goal but Matt’s centre with the keeper isolated was deflected for a corner. Poor defending saw the visitors take the lead on 18 minutes, Bibby passed back to Haslam he ballooned his clearance up in the air where the wind caught it and blew it back into the area and Joe Duckworth headed the ball home. It was a real blow (pun intended) for the Villagers and it really knocked them out of their stride. For the next ten minutes or so they were second to the ball, repeatedly giving the ball away and the visitors were dominant. ASH YOUNG celebrated his return to the team with an equalising goal after 32 minutes, Ross O’Farrell won a left wing corner and when Noblet’s delivery was helped on at the front post, the Charnock defender was at the back post to turn the ball into the net. It was the boost that Charnock were needing, confidence flooded back into the side and from then on there was only going to be one winner. When Davison was fouled just outside the area he took a quick free kick and the result was four goalbound shots all blocked before Carsley screwed a good chance wide. When a neat through ball from O’Farrell put Fairhurst into the area he tried to find Grimshaw rather than shooting. However on 43 minutes FAIRHURST did find the net with a remarkable goal, Noblet played a neat ball into the area on the right to Nathan, keeper Samberg again was drawn out of his goal and Nathan side footed him and hit a shot from almost on the bye-line that hit the inside of the back post and rolled into the net. On the stroke of half time Jones clattered into Young and received a second yellow card and for the second week running Charnock were playing the second half against a team with only 10 men.

Charnock had all the advantages for the second half, in particular the benefit of the strong wind and they took advantage scoring another three goals. As early as the 47th minute Grimshaw broke clear but his shot was straight at Samberg. Winsford came back with what was possibly their best chance of the final 45 minutes, Madeley having a chance to lob Haslam who was way out of his goal but he merely lofted the ball into the hands of the keeper. From then on it was almost all Charnock but they failed to add to their lead despite a succession of corners. With only a one goal lead there is the threat that the opposition can get back into the game from just one isolated chance so there was a certain amount of relief when the Villagers eventually made it 4-2 on 63 minutes. Leading goalscorer CARL GRIMSHAW finally making no mistake when given a shooting opportunity from the right of the penalty area. Charnock immediately replaced Trop Carsley with Oliver Oxley. Seven minutes later yet another right wing corner to the back post saw the ball headed back across the goal and O’FARRELL headed home from close in. Four minutes later Ross was replaced by Mark Woods. Charnock continued to dominate and Aaron Griffith came on for his second appearance replacing Spencer Bibby after 81 minutes. Charnock finally made the score 6-2 when DAVISON scored his second goal in the fourth minute of added time.

Other than for the 15 minutes or so following Winsford taking the lead it had been a creditable performance from Charnock; maybe with the circumstances in the second half they should have scored even more goals but let us not get too greedy. The three points take Charnock’s total to 48 and they moved up to seventh place in the table. Last season 79 points ensured that the Villagers finished in sixth place but with only seven fixtures left and eight fewer fixtures than last season, they were never likely to achieve that total. Nevertheless they remain on track for a creditable top 10 finish.

On Saturday 16th March Charnock make the short trip to Brocstedes Park home of Ashton Athletic with a 3.00pm kick-off.

Keith Reader

Club Sponsors