Latest News.....Pre Season friendly fixtures.....Saturday, 20th July.....The 1st Team are at home against CLITHEROE, kick off 3pm.....The Reserves make the short journey to face Standish St Wilfreds, kick off 2pm.
Club Information
Latest News 
Club History 
How to Find Us 
Officials & Contacts 
Junior Website 
Our Sponsors 
1st Team
Fixtures & Results 
Match Reports 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Player Profiles 
Fixtures & Results 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Sponsorship Brochure 
Scores Predictions 
Club Merchandise 

 Latest News
Date                                             Headlines


Charnock lose 2-0 to Silsden at Mossie Close in the Bank Holiday Monday league fixture.
Charnock Richard 0 Silsden 2

Monday 27th August 2018, North West Counties League Premier Division


Attendance 148


Charnock Richard: Chris Cheetham, Joe Noblet, Ryan Schofield, Ashley Young (Spencer Bibby 28, Jacob Higham 44)), Jack Sanders, Mark Woods, Danny Regan, Nathan Fairhurst, Carl Grimshaw, Oliver Oxley, Alex Ralph. Subs: (Not Used) Adam Halton, Ashley Ball.

Silsden: Sam Lee, Craig Bentham, Reece Kendall, Josh Caine, Dan Illingworth, Reece Lyndon, Luke Rhodes, Kyle Hancock, Mark Everingham (Jack Turnbull 72), Aidan Kirby (Lee Spires 75), William Storrie.

Charnock, following their 5-1 win at Hanley on the previous Saturday, were quickly brought down to earth at the hands of second placed Silsden. Following a fairly even opening half hour Charnock lost Ashley Young to injury and the side lost its balance and never really recovered. The visitors took the lead just before half time and the Villagers were second best for the remainder of the match with Silsden finishing the game off with a second goal with 15 minutes remaining.

The starting eleven saw two changes from the side that had such a convincing win on the previous Saturday, Chris Cheetham making his debut in goal at the expense of Connor King. Mark Woods replaced Ash Ball, who dropped to the bench, in midfield. Regular goalkeeper Adam Halton was back on the bench following the birth of his daughter along with Spencer Bibby, Ashley Stott and Jake Higham. Ross O’Farrell was unavailable and Matt Davison, James Walker and Tyler Rufus were all on the injury list. It was a mainly dry but chilly afternoon with a gusty north-westerly wind and the attendance was 148.

Charnock won the toss so Silsden kicked off playing towards the Charter Lane end. Charnock lined up in their recent formation with three at the back. On four minutes Joe Noblet surged forward from midfield to see his shot rebound off the chest of Lee in goal but the loose ball was cleared. Then Grimshaw was caught offside before a long ball gave Storrie a chance for the visitors but he shot over the bar. It was a bright start to the game and a centre from the right saw Everingham head wide. A weak shot from Hancock did not trouble Chris Cheetham. A Mark Woods diagonal free kick from out on the left saw Lee spill the ball almost into the path of Grimshaw. There was a blow for Charnock on 24 minutes when Young stayed down after a tackle and after extensive treatment had to limp off the pitch. Spencer Bibby came on to play in the back three. On 31 minutes Noblet, in space, fed in Grimshaw, his strike from the corner of the box took a deflection for a corner. The visitors took the lead on 34 minutes, a long ball out to the right found Storrie who despite the attention of Schofield delivered a cross that Kirby met to give Cheetham no chance. It was poor defending and one could only reflect on the departure of Young who may well have been on hand to prevent the goal. Charnock came back with Ralph delivering a diagonal cross that was marginally too high for Oxley and keeper Lee collected. When Oxley played a ball towards Grimshaw, Kaine did well to get across to intercept. On 44 minutes Bibby went down with a reoccurrence of the injury that has been troubling him since pre-season and Jake Higham came on. The half finished with Charnock trailing having to re-organise again.

Silsden had finished the first 45 minutes on top and they maintained the pressure in the second half. Storrie had a shot deflected and it flashed just the right side of the post for Charnock. On 48 minutes Ralph surged forward to the edge of the box and found Grimshaw but his shot lacked power. Then Regan got to the right hand corner flag and delivered a cross to Grimshaw at the back post but under pressure he headed wide. Never afraid to hit the ball forward Silsden were causing problems in Charnock’s makeshift defence. Storrie got clear down the right but his shot was hopelessly wide. A free kick from Ralph found Fairhurst on the six yard box but his control was poor and the ball went out for a goal kick. Charnock were looking very disjointed and too many potential attacks were breaking down in midfield. The visitors continued to have the edge and were good value for their lead. Grimshaw got his head to another Ralph free kick this time from the left but it was fractionally too high and the ball went for a goal kick. On 67 minutes Cheetham left his area to clear the ball, missed his kick and only some good work by Sanders saved the goalkeeper embarrassment. Higham had a shot from distance but a slight deflection took the power out of the shot and Lee saved easily. The closest that the Villagers came to an equaliser was on 71 minutes, a free kick from Joe Noblet from 25 yards had Lee flying across goal to turn the ball out for a corner. There was another let-off for Charnock on 73 minutes, a free kick from the left saw Cheetham miss the ball and Illingworth headed against a post. Silsden increased their lead on 75 minutes when Illingworth raced across the box to meet a right wing corner and head into the top corner of the goal. Ashley Stott immediately replaced Oliver Oxley and two minutes later he found Grimshaw in the box but once again the ball did not drop right and the chance was gone. Charnock continued to chase the game; Regan had a shot diverted for a corner and when Woods slid a pass through to Grimshaw he shot over the bar. In the final minute of normal time another cross from the right saw Grimshaw again fail to get a shot away and it summed up Charnock’s performance.

In the last four games Charnock have had two convincing wins over Hanley but have struggled defensively in their two defeats at the hands of Bootle and Silsden. They lie in sixth position in the table which reflects a decent start to the season; the main problem has been injuries which have prevented the Villagers from fielding their best team so far.

On Saturday 1st September Charnock travel to Alnwick Town in the 1st Round of the FA Vase with the kick off 3.00pm. For those unable to travel, Ian Livesey will be providing a detailed Twitter update on @Charnock FC.

Keith Reader

Club Sponsors