Latest News.....Pre Season friendly fixtures.....Saturday, 20th July.....The 1st Team are at home against CLITHEROE, kick off 3pm.....The Reserves make the short journey to face Standish St Wilfreds, kick off 2pm.
Club Information
Latest News 
Club History 
How to Find Us 
Officials & Contacts 
Junior Website 
Our Sponsors 
1st Team
Fixtures & Results 
Match Reports 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Player Profiles 
Fixtures & Results 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Sponsorship Brochure 
Scores Predictions 
Club Merchandise 

 Latest News
Date                                             Headlines


In the FA Cup Preliminary Round Replay, Charnock lost 3-2 at Leek Town. The goals for Charnock came from Carl Grimshaw and an own goal.
The Reserves lost 3-1 at Garstang Reserves.
Leek Town 3 Charnock Richard 2

Saturday 8th September 2018, FA Cup Preliminary Round Replay


Attendance 243


Charnock Richard: Chris Cheetham, Ross O’Farrell (Oliver Oxley), James Walker, Ryan Schofield, Jack Sanders, Ashley Ball, Mark Woods (Ashley Stott), Nathan Fairhurst, Carl Grimshaw, Daniel Regan, Jake Higham (Alex Ralph). Subs: (Not Used) Adam Halton, Callum Darcy.

Leek Town: Dan Roberts, Jessy Bavanganga, Charlie Walford, Marc Grocott, Scott Lycett, Darren Chadwick, Jordan Johnson, Sam Hall, Tim Grice, Dan Trickett-Smith, Robert Stevenson. Subs: Zeph Thomas, Andy McWilliams, Harry Brazel, Jack Hurd.

A wet and blustery day was experienced by all concered in Staffordshire, but it was a slippery defeat for Charnock as they bowed out the FA Cup losing to the odd goal in five in this thrilling FA Cup replay. The 'Greens' made one change to the team from Tuesday's night's 2-2 draw, Danny Regan replacing an injured Joe Noblet.

Charnock kicked off towards the Macclesfield Road end. The opening goal came as early as the fourth minute. A Jack Sanders miskick with his back to goal, granted Grice possession. Leek's top-marksman battled through between O'Farrell and Schofield inside the area, and squeezed a shot past static Chris Cheetham with the shot going in off the base of his right hand post. After good work from Carl Grimshaw, Charnock won the first corner of the game on 6 minutes. Mark Woods, who took all of Charnock's set pieces all afternoon, swung in from the right, but the Leek clearance fell back to Woods who recycled the ball back to an offside Schofield. It wasn't long until Charnock's next corner, and their biggest chance of the game in the early stages. Walker eventually gathering the ball and feeding in Higham on the left. His swirling cross was tipped over the crossbar by Roberts in the Leek goal for another corner. Charnock continued to probe the Leek defence, and Grimshaw's 30 yard drive flashed wide of Roberts' goal to continue the Charnock attack. On 16 minutes, a quickly taken Leek free kick down the middle was sent into the area. Trickett-Smith's coming together with Schofield was waved away despite penalty appeals from the spectators behind the goal. Midway in the first half, a well worked Charnock corner from Woods to Regan, with the latter's shot deflected wide off the right boot for another corner. Five minutes later, Regan crossed again from the right, the ball falling behind the Leek defence to Higham, but the ball just wouldn't sit right for him to strike it first time. The heavy rain turned torrential 15 minutes from half time, and on 35 minutes Charnock were on level terms. Danny Regan was fouled on the right, midway in the Leek half, a Mark Woods free kick from 30 yards, GRIMSHAW latched on and headed inside the post.

The start of the second half brought no changes to either side, and promptly, just as they did in the original tie, Charnock went ahead. Just 90 seconds were on the clock after the restart, when Woods' cross from the right wing free kick was sliced into his own net by Charlie Walford, to send the Greens fans in the ground into raptures. Just before the 50 minute mark, Charnock could have extended their lead. Ash Ball's delicate chip down the left found Higham unmarked, but his deep cross almost connected with Grimshaw before being eventually cleared. It took a good while for Leek to get a stride back into the game. Just before the hour mark, Jack Sanders was on hand to clear a Stevenson cross, and the Charnock number 5 was on hand again to assist in clearing a corner. Leek's best chance after going behind came on 63 minutes. Stevenson, who carried on his fine game from Tuesday night, twisted and turned around O'Farrell in the area to fire a shot towards goal; only to see Cheetham parry it into the path of Grocott who couldn't capitalise from 6 yards out. Ball continued to cause problems, he dragged a shot wide of the far post after beating three Leek players. But it was Leek Town who grabbed the next goal giving them the equaliser. Clever work down the left from Robert Stevenson, and his cross was turned home by Tim Grice. Charnock started to crack, and three minutes later only a combination of Sanders and the Charnock crossbar came to the rescue for the Greens. A double sub from Andy Westwell brought Stott and Ralph into the fray, replacing Woods and Higham. However, the afternoon turned into heartbreak for Charnock as on 85 minutes, Leek Town found the winning goal. Moments after two quick half chances for Leek from Dan Trickett-Smith, the clearance led to a 25 yard free kick for the home side. Trickett-Smith, another scorer from the original tie, bent the ball around the wall and ultimately beyond the reach of Cheetham inside the left hand post. That proved to be the killer blow for Charnock and very little in the way of getting a second equaliser of the game came, as they bowed out of this seasons FA Cup, not before giving a side a division above, two enthralling games.

Charnock are back in action again next Saturday when they travel up to Penrith in the FA Vase Qualifying Round 2.

Charnock Richard FC would like to thank Leek Town for today's hospitality and wish them luck for the rest of the season.

Ian Livesey

Club Sponsors