Latest News.....Pre Season friendly fixture....Tuesday evening, 16th July.....The 1st Team are at home against LANCASTER CITY, kick off 7.45pm
Club Information
Latest News 
Club History 
How to Find Us 
Officials & Contacts 
Junior Website 
Our Sponsors 
1st Team
Fixtures & Results 
Match Reports 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Player Profiles 
Fixtures & Results 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Sponsorship Brochure 
Scores Predictions 
Club Merchandise 

 Latest News
Date                                             Headlines


Charnock Richard progressed through to the Buildbase FA Vase first round proper with a hard fought 4-1 victory at Penrith AFC. The goals for Charnock came from Oxley (2), Ball and Schofield.
The Reserves won 3-1 at home to Longridge Town Reserves, with the goals coming from Whittle, Coley and Adams.
Penrith AFC 1 Charnock Richard 4

Saturday 15th September 2018, FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round


Attendance 123


Charnock Richard : Cheetham, Noblet, Walker, Schofield, Sanders, Ball, Regan, Fairhurst, Grimshaw (capt), Woods, Ralph. Subs : O'Farrell (for Noblet 86'), Higham (for Ralph 64'), Oxley (for Ball 56'), Darcy (not used)

Penrith : Watson, Burrus, Lawson, Moynan, May, Davidson (c), Hayton, Main, Murray, Sheilds, Paul. Subs : Atkinson, Casson (GK), Pritchard-Farish, Buka

Charnock Richard progressed into the Buildbase FA Vase with considerable ease against their Northern League opponents. Goals from Ashley Ball, Ryan Schofield and an Oliver Oxley double saw off Penrith with Will Paul getting on the scoresheet for the home side.

Greens manager Andy Westwell made one change from the side who were beaten by Leek Town in the FA Cup last weekend; Joe Noblet coming in for Ross O'Farrell who took his place on the bench.

The first chance of the game fell to the home side, as a right wing cross from Brad Hayton was headed over by the number 9, Jonny Murray. Five minutes later, a foul on Ashley Ball from Jordan Lawson saw the Penrith man receive a caution. The resulting Charnock free kick by James Walker struck the base of the 5-man wall and led to nothing more than a throw in. Moments later, Jack Sanders came close to opening the scoring for the visitors, but Alex Ralph's free kick evaded him by inches. Charnock though, seemed indecisive at the back for a spell in the game, as testing balls from the Penrith wingers were only dealt with by last ditch clearances. In the Charnock attack though, it only seemed a matter of time when they would take the lead. Danny Regan firing over from 30 yards out after chasing a loose ball from a cleared corner was the highlight. The home side could have taken the lead themselves after the half hour mark. Kyle May rose highest in the penalty area following their first corner of the match, and Regan was on hand to clear the ball on the goal-line, May followed up that effort with a shot over the bar. Increasing pressure from the Charnock forwards before half time saw Ball push the goalkeeper all the way as they chased the same ball on the edge of the penalty area. Somehow, Ball's final touch saw the ball trickle past the post. It wasn't long until the Greens took the lead with 2 first half minutes remaining. More good work from Grimshaw on the right wing saw Regan drift past his man, and attempt a low shot on goal inside the area. Albeit off target, it kindly fell to BALL at the back post who made no mistake from 3 yards, to give Charnock a 1-0 half time lead.

The first action of the second half saw the home side draw level. The ball wasn't cleared at the back and it came to an unmarked Will Paul via Ryan Schofield, and the Penrith man drove home from 12 yards to the left of the static Cheetham. But the one goal lead was restored four minutes later. Regan was fouled on the right and a floated free kick from Ralph on the right saw SCHOFIELD get the deftest of touches and 'keeper Watson spilled it over his head into the net for his first goal of the season. Charnock could have quickly gone further ahead. Ball, looking for his second of the match, was played in down the left and into the area, only to see his shot smothered by Watson. Westwell made his first change of the match, bringing on Oxley for Ball, and with his first touch, gave Charnock a two goal cushion. Grimshaw's headed flick was met by the fresh substitute OXLEY, and he calmly chipped the Penrith keeper from 18 yards for his first competitive goal for the Greens. Half chance's from Grimshaw for Charnock and Murray for Penrith saw easy saves from the goalkeepers as Penrith started to try and look for a way back into the tie. But with the home side pushing for a goal, Charnock were finding gaps at the Penrith back-line. Another Grimshaw weak strike and rolled shot which went wide only denied Charnock a fourth. With six minutes remaining, the Green's got their fourth, and OXLEY his second of the game, only for an unfortunate slip by Watson, the Charnock sub found himself with an open goal and made no mistake from 12 yards. That was the icing on the cake from the Greens who progressed to the First Round proper for the third season running.

Following the game, the team were delayed in their return journey home due to a breakdown of the team coach. Charnock Richard would like to thank Penrith AFC for their very kind hospitality during and after the game whilst a replacement coach was found.

Charnock move back to league action next Saturday 22nd September when they host Congleton Town, kick off 3pm.

Ian Livesey

Club Sponsors