Latest News.....Pre Season friendly fixture....Tuesday evening, 16th July.....The 1st Team are at home against LANCASTER CITY, kick off 7.45pm
Club Information
Latest News 
Club History 
How to Find Us 
Officials & Contacts 
Junior Website 
Our Sponsors 
1st Team
Fixtures & Results 
Match Reports 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Player Profiles 
Fixtures & Results 
League Table 
Player Stats 
Sponsorship Brochure 
Scores Predictions 
Club Merchandise 

 Latest News
Date                                             Headlines


Charnock progressed into the next round of the Lancashire Challenge Trophy winning with the odd goal in three first half goals at the Giant Axe. Ash Ball and James Walker scored the goals for Charnock.
Lancaster City 1 Charnock Richard 2

Tuesday 25th September 2018, Partners Foundation Lancashire Challenge Trophy 1st Round


Attendance 140


Charnock : Halton, O'Farrell, Walker, Darcy, Sanders, Ball, Regan, Fairhurst, Oxley, Stott, Higham. Subs : Grimshaw, Woods, Rufus, Ralph, Schofield

Lancaster City : Beresford, Wills (c), Dugdale, Russell, Williams, Muir, Walmsley, Wilson, Winder, Bailey, McLean. Subs : Blinkhorn, Fensome, Hudson, Stanley, Gorji

Charnock progressed into the next round of the Lancashire Challenge Trophy winning with the odd goal in three first half goals at the Giant Axe.

Charnock started brightly against their opponents of two steps higher in the pyramid, an Ashley Stott half-chance just inside the second minute set the tone for things to come. Charnock quickly won a corner on the right, but the delivery was easily gathered by Niall Beresford in the Lancaster goal. Danny Regan looked lively, and won Charnock's second corner, and within a minute, the Greens were in front. Ashley BALL picking up a short pass from Regan, and after cutting inside in the penalty area, unleashed a shot that went in off the far post leaving Beresford helpless. Lancaster started to get into gear, and on 10 minutes tested Halton for the first time when Lewis Walmsley's cross was taken well by the Charnock keeper. A minute later, Andy Westwell was forced into making an early change. A knock on Ash Ball on the right led to him being helped off and Mark Woods took his place in midfield. Just 60 seconds later, the home side were level. A mistake at the back by O'Farrell, attempting a back header to Halton was picked up by Charlie BAILEY, and from just inside the area struck past the stranded Halton. Down the other end though, Charnock didn't give up, and a corner to the far post was taken off the head of Jacob Higham by full back Simon Wills. Walmsley had a good chance to put Lancaster ahead after 20 minutes, latching onto the loose ball from a left wing delivery, he tried to get over the ball to volley in, instead finding the hands of Halton. A minute later it was Charnock's chance to go ahead. Wills, who had previously been shown a yellow card for foul language, brought down Stott on the byline 6-yards out from goal, and referee Mr Sheppard had no option to point to the spot. Up stepped James WALKER to score his first goal of the season by sending Beresford the opposite way. Charnock's best chance of the remainder of the first half came with two minutes remaining. Callum Darcy found himself in the area, and found the unmarked Stott on the left but just 10 yards between him and the keeper, Charnock's number ten skied the shot over the bar.

Two minutes into the second half, Charnock pressed, the ball was passed back by his own man to Beresford 15 yards outside his goal, his swing failed to connect, but luckily for the Lancaster custodian, recovered to sweep the ball away from the lurking Stott. Lancaster replaced midfielder Walmsley with the experienced forward Matty Blinkhorn as Oli Oxley was substituted with Tyler Rufus for the Greens. On 57 minutes, Lancaster's best chance to equalise so far came and went. A header from a cross was parried away on his goal-line by Halton, and the recycled cross on the left was headed wide by Steve Williams. On the stroke of the hour mark, a Nathan Fairhurst venemous shot on the edge of the area was charged down by the Lancaster defence from close range and from the counter attack, a foul on Blinkhorn by O'Farrell gave the home side a free kick 20 yards out. Ryan Winder's effort came back off the wall, and the volley from the follow up by Ryan McLean skewed wide. Jack Sanders and Winder collided on the half way line with the Charnock man receiving treatment on the sideline for a minute. As the game neared the end, it was all one way traffic as the home side pressed for the elusive equaliser. Last ditch defending from Sanders denied a chance for the Lancaster front three and moments later, Blinkhorn tunred Walker inside the penalty area, only to see his shot cleared away by the legs of the recovered Walker. Carl Grimshaw replaced Stott, and Winder's cross from the left was gathered by Halton at the second attempt. Charnock were restricted to long balls in order to surmount a counter attack, and one such attack could've produced a goal. Grimshaw gathered the ball in the corner of the penalty area, and drilled a shot to the near post, but Beresford wasn't to be beaten a third time, getting down to his right to collect. Grimshaw was called upon at the other end of the pitch too, clearing a Lancaster corner to the near post with his head. 4 minutes of added time were signalled, and Charnock defended for their lives, soaking up any balls into the box when asked and defended really well. After what seemed an age, the Mr Sheppard blew the whistle for the last time of the evening, and Charnock had gained a notable scalp in the county cup.

Charnock are back on the road again this coming Saturday 29th Sept, where they will travel to Irlam in the league, with a 3pm kick off.

Ian Livesey

Club Sponsors